Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Here's just a quick, fun idea for a dessert for your 4th celebration. I made this one bowl vanilla cake. It's from Culinate, a great food centered website. You can use any white cake you want, but this recipe is easy and tastes great. I let the cake cool completely. I wanted to make individual cakes so I cut the cake into stars with my 3" star cookie cutter. You can also leave the cake whole, if you'd rather not bother with cutting out the stars, but how cute are they??!

I split the stars horizontally and spread on a layer of strawberry preserves, and put the stars back together. If you want you could use fresh strawberries, sliced and sprinkled with a little sugar instead of the preserves. Then I made some sweetened whipped cream, pipped it on top and decorated with a few fresh blueberries.  Easy, festive, and delicious! I hope you have a safe and happy 4th of July!


4 comments:

carpet cleaning Fargo ND said...

My kids with love it!

Mike said...

Looks fun. Always like using the presentation as a way to get the kids to eat!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Have a fantastic July 4th!!!! Keep safe and have a sun-filled day!!

LucyLilyPad said...

I love this idea! They turned out beautifully, and look so tempting.