Saturday, March 6, 2010

Devilishly Good Oatmeal Fruit Bars


My oatmeal obsession continues! If you've read my blog in the past you are already know how I feel about oatmeal. These bars started off being quite low fat. They were rather angelic, you could say, and then that little voice whispered "wouldn't those be even better with a little chocolate?" "You know they would be amazing with a chocolate topping and a sprinkle of nuts!" And with that, chocolaty temptation got the best of me.  So it's up to you.  These bars are very good just as they are and quite low-fat or like me, you can give into chocolate covered temptation. Come on you know you want too!

Oatmeal Fruit Bars  (Printable Recipe)

Source: Quaker Oats.com, adapted
Ingredients


3/4  cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2  cup granulated sugar
One  8-ounce container plain low-fat yogurt
2  egg whites, lightly beaten
2  Tbsp. vegetable oil
2  Tbsp. milk
2  tsp. vanilla
1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1  tsp. baking soda
1  tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2  tsp. salt (optional)
3  cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1  cup diced dried mixed fruit, raisins, or dried cranberries

 


 

 

 

 

 

Preparation

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and fruit.
Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown. Let bars cool for 10-15 minutes before topping with chocolate (if using).

Totally optional but devilishly good topping:

6 ounces dark chocolate
2 Tbl. unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Place coarsely chopped chocolate and the butter in a microwave-safe container and microwave at MEDIUM (50 percent power) for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until the chocolate turns shiny. Remove the container from the microwave and stir the chocolate until completely melted.Spread melted chocolate over the cooled oatmeal bars. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.





14 comments:

Joanne said...

And because I have to add insult to injury. I bet they'd be awesome with coconut as well!

Although they look really delicious as is.

Half Baked said...

You're so right Joanne. I thought of coconut a little too late but was thinking I'd add it next time!

Plain Chicken said...

wow! those look good!

grace said...

some people take things out of recipes to make them more healthy, whereas you and i add things to make them more decadent. right on--the topping looks stupendous, and i wholeheartedly agree with joanne about the addition of coconut. wowza. :)

Stacey said...

for a lot of reasons, I never use low-fat yogurt. If using regular yogurt, do you think the amount of oil should be reduced? Or just leave out the milk? Thanks.

Half Baked said...

Hi Stacey, I would just sub regular yogurt for the low-fat. I think you'll still need the oil or the bars will be dry. The original recipe called for skim milk but I don't use skim milk and replaced it with regular milk. I think you will still need the milk as well. There's quite a bit of oatmeal in these bars and I think you'll need the moisture as well as the fat in the milk.

The Food Hunter said...

They look delicious.

Kaitlin said...

These look great!

Eliana said...

These look and sound heavenly :)

Anonymous said...

devilishly good is right.
the photos are evil!
they're making my tummy cry :(
need some right now omg!
these look amazing dear :)

Francis Kamau said...

The oatmeal fruit bars are great. this is an extra idea for a special meal for the comming mommies day. Thank you for sharing.

kimlay said...

If I used all purpose gluten free flour, do you think it would still work?

Half Baked said...

Hi Kimlay, I haven't tried the gluten free flour but it should work. Let me know if you try it!

Stacey said...

I absolutely love these - so great for me as a safe food when traveling (I'm corn intolerant). I've started using coconut oil in place of the veggie oil, though I've had luck using butter as well. The whole fat yogurt works great with no problems thus far.

Thanks for sharing all your great recipes.