Sunday, June 15, 2008

Apricot, Almond, Cream Cheese Crostata

This week marks the offical arrival of summer and brings with it the arrival of fresh apricots. Even their beautiful orange hue reminds me of a sunny day. When I saw them in the market this week, I couldn't wait to bake them into a tart. The season for the fresh apricots is short, so get them while you can.

I came across this recipe for an apricot, almond, cream cheese crostata. I love it's free form rustic look and thought the flavors sounded delicious.
This great summery tart doesn't require a special pan.
Recipe
Bon Appetit (slightly adapted)
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 1 1/2 Hours (includes baking and cooling time)

Servings: Makes 8 servings.

Ingredients
2 oz log almond paste
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pie crust, room temperature
5 to 6 large apricots, quartered, pitted
1/4 cup apricot jam, heat
Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Blend almond paste and 3 tablespoons sugar in processor until finely chopped. Add cream cheese, egg yolk, and vanilla and blend until filling is smooth. Unroll crust on heavy rimmed baking sheet. Spread filling over crust, leaving 1 1/2-inch plain border. Arrange apricot quarters, rounded side down, in spoke pattern in 2 concentric circles atop filling. Fold dough border up over edge of filling. Brush exposed apricots with warm jam. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.

Bake crostata until crust is golden brown and apricots are tender and slightly browned, about 43 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Notes:
The recipe originally called for topping the tart with crushed amaretti cookies. I wanted to replace the cookies with toasted almonds. When I made the tart however, I forgot the almonds...oh well I guess I'll just have to make it again:) I used a homemade pie crust in place of the store bought one called for in the recipe. I think that made what would have been a good tart into a truly superb tart.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks divine!
I'll have to keep a look out for almond paste.
I love the free form pastry. Wonderful!

giz said...

I love the deep orange in these apricots and you're right about such a short season. What a fun recipe and gorgeous to look at too.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never made a crostata, and this looks too good to pass!

Anonymous said...

This looks really amazing and sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Your crostada is making me drool! Apricots are delicious...I would love this.

Camille said...

I love apricots. I just made an apricot galette. Your crostata looks yummy.

Chibog in Chief said...

oh my goodness i gotta do this recipe!! i have one kilo of apricot fresh from the market this morning!!i cant wait to try yum